Two Landlords Admit Guilt in Connection with Everett Fire that Resulted in Permanent Injury to Two Firefighters

EVERETT – Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan has announced that Muddasir Bari and Nargis Bhatti both of Everett pleaded guilty yesterday to one count each of Wanton and Reckless Disregard for Building Code Violations that resulted in Serious Bodily Injury. The two defendants were the landlords of a multifamily dwelling located at 15 Morris Street in Everett. On July 13, 2018 a three-alarm fire occurred at that home. During their efforts to rescue an occupant of the house and to contain the fire, two Everett firefighters were seriously injured.

Both Bari and Bhatti were sentenced to one year probation with the condition that they attend a two hour Burn Education Training and that they each pay victim witness advocate and probation supervision fees.

“Yesterday, these defendants accepted responsibility for their actions. Their violations of the Building Code put the public at risk and endangered the lives of two firefighters. The facts of this case demonstrate the bravery and focus of the firefighters who, even after two of them were seriously injured, continued the rescue operation. This prosecution reflects how seriously we take the enforcement of those regulations that are in place to minimize the risk to all first responders and to the public,” said District Attorney Ryan.

“In our society, fire and building codes are written from the lessons learned from past tragedies. We don’t need to learn those lessons twice and must hold those accountable who put people in harm’s way by ignoring them,” said State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey.

“I appreciate the work of both DA Ryan and Marshal Ostroskey on seeing this case through. We know that when houses are overcrowded and violate codes bad things will happen. We hope that this is wake up call to landlords about making sure their properties are safe and well cared for,” continued Everett Fire Chief Anthony Carli.

Bari and Bhatti were charged under the Comprehensive Fire Safety Act, passed as a result of the 2003 The Station Nightclub fire.

This incident was jointly investigated by the Everett Fire and Police Departments, State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal and State Police assigned to the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s