SOMERVILLE – Grab your instrument and your dancing shoes, and get ready to help the City celebrate the latest installment of its SomerStreets series with Strike Up the Bands @ SomerStreets on Sunday, Sept. 20 on Holland St.! From noon to 4 p.m. between Davis Sq. and Teele Sq., free, family-friendly activities and entertainment will include live music at as well as children’s activities, family-friendly programming, and student-friendly fun (welcome back, students!) throughout the afternoon.
SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Along Holland St., activities for children, students, and adults of all ages will include, but are not limited to:
· Live music stage near Davis Sq., including Patrick Coman and Balkan Fields, and DJ near Teele Sq.
· The M.U.S.C.R.A.T art bus with interactive art activity
· Stilting with the Open Air Circus
· The Davis Flea @ Buena Vista Parking Lot (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
· Craft fair & street performers
· Children’s activities with Somerville Recreation Department at Hodgkin’s Park
· Skateboarding performance and lessons with Max Hesh skate company
· Bouncy House
For the September event, road closures and parking restrictions will apply as follows:
· No Parking on Holland St. from Davis to Teele Sq. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; street closed to vehicles 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
· All one way side streets leading onto Holland St. will temporarily be converted to two-way traffic for abbutters only to allow residents to get to and from their homes, including:
o Moore St., Gorham St., Paulina St., Simpson Ave., Jay St., and Wallace St.
· Bus routes 87 and 88 will be rerouted from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. For locations of rerouted bus stops, visit MBTA.com.
The final SomerStreets event for 2015, “Monster Mashed-Up” will be held on Sunday, October 18 along Somerville Ave. For more information please visit http://www.somervillartscouncil.org/somerstreets.