Georgetown Transfer Station Closed After After Fire

Posted by


Georgetown Transfer Station Closed After After Fire
Residents May Use Newbury Transfer Station Until Further Notice
Closure Expected to Last At Least Through The End of This Week for Repairs

GEORGETOWN — Interim Fire Chief Rusty Ricker reports that the Georgetown Transfer Station will likely be closed for most of this week after a fire broke out last week and damaged the steel structure.
The Georgetown Fire Department responded shortly before 5 a.m. on Tuesday after a Georgetown Police Sergeant, on patrol, reported a fire at the G. Mello Disposal Corp. Georgetown Transfer Station.
The first arriving fire unit, Deputy Fire Chief Russ Moyer, reported the transfer station to be fully involved. Other Georgetown fire units were already out on another call in town, so Deputy Chief Moyer called out for mutual aid. Groveland and Rowley sent engines directly to the scene, while the Boxford and West Newbury Fire Departments provided coverage to the two Georgetown fire stations in case of additional incidents.
The fire was extinguished by fire crews with the help of G. Mello employees, who used heavy machinery to lift and turn over mounds of trash to expose hidden pockets of fire.
The fire caused damage to the framework of the steel structure above the transfer station. The transfer station was ordered closed, and G. Mello Corp. estimates that the station will remained close through the end of this week.
Residents may use the Newbury Transfer Station on Boston Road to dispose of rubbish in the interim. Dump trucks are not allowed at the Newbury Transfer Station, however.
The Town of Georgetown and G. Mello Corp. apologize for the inconvenience. 
“We want all residents to know that they can bring their trash to G. Mello’s station in Newbury for the next week or so, and I want to thank everyone in town for their patience during the repairs,” Interim Chief Ricker said. “Hopefully everything will be back up and running soon. Thankfully, the Sergeant was on patrol in the area and called in the fire before more damage was done.”
No one was injured in the fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s