A Surprise to Many, Immigrants Can Obtain Their Green Card Without Leaving the U.S. Under an Existing Immigration Law

Posted by


Los Angeles Immigration Attorneys Specialize in Completing Residency Process Entirely from Within the United States

Los Angeles, CA (MMD Newswire)  — A person who qualifies to be a permanent resident may be able to apply to obtain a green card without leaving the U.S. This procedure is called adjustment of status.

“Too many undocumented immigrants are under the impression that they are required to leave the country in order to obtain their green card,” says James Eric Price, former Assistant Chief Counsel to Homeland Security’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement and co-founder of Los Angeles Immigration Attorneys.

When a person applies for adjustment of status, he also receives a work permit (EAD). While the general rule suggests that an applicant for adjustment of status must have entered the U.S. legally, there are some exceptions.

For example, Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that persons with old petitions may pay a penalty fee and adjust their status despite entering the U.S. without permission. Additionally, even where the initial entry to the U.S. was without permission, and no old petition was filed under 245(i), the undocumented individual may still adjust their status in the U.S. This can occur if the undocumented individual crossed into the U.S. through the border line, and was waved through by a Customs and Border Protection officer.

Further, persons may adjust their status, if they entered the U.S. lawfully, even if they overstayed, without having to pay a penalty fee.

“In short, once an immigrant is in the U.S. there is a good possibility that he or she may be able to obtain their green card without ever having to leave the country,” says Price. Raising awareness of law may encourage many immigrants to seek their green card, who would otherwise just continue working and living in the U.S. illegally.

About Los Angeles Immigration Attorneys

Los Angeles Immigration Attorneys is a boutique law firm specializing in immigration and nationality law. Founded by Eric Price, Esq., the firm offers individuals representation in all immigration matters. Los Angeles Immigration Attorneys also offers a wide range of services to attorneys including consultations, legal briefs and motions, appeals, and court appearances. For more information visit http://www.greencardla.com or call 213-995-6655.

About Eric Price, Esq.

Eric Price, Esq. (James Eric Price, Esq.) has represented the United States government in both detained and non-detained removal proceedings in front of the Immigration Courts, filed appellate briefs with the Board of Immigration Appeals and 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and collaborated with Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on adjustment of status applications and asylum interviews. Most recently, as Assistant Chief Counsel for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Eric successfully prosecuted over one thousand cases in front of the Immigration Courts with a specialty in prosecuting criminal immigrants. Prior to joining ICE and the Department of Homeland Security, he worked in the litigation department of Stearns Weaver Miller, a prominent Miami law firm. He also worked in Washington, D.C. as an economist for the United States Department of Labor prior to studying law. His Juris Doctorate degree cum laude was earned in his studies at the University of Miami School of Law, after earning his Bachelor of Science degree cum laude in International Economics from the University of Florida. www.linkedin.com/in/laimmigration or http://www.greencardla.com/ – our-attorneys

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s